I want to be like Patti.
I don't really know her from Adam. I know her from my scrapbooking message boards that I am a member of (www.cherishedscrapbooks.com and www.scraptivity.com). I know her "persona" that she shares online. I haven't met her yet. I say yet, because one of these days I will fly out to Toronto and meet her. I will scrapbook at her store with her. We will hang out and laugh our asses off (although she told me that that doesn't really work *sigh*). Even though I don't know her in person yet, I just KNOW we would have a great time!
She is always making me laugh with her posts and comments at Scraptivity. She has a comment for everything - the good, the bad and the ugly. She can put a positive spin on to everything. While I was away in Cuba she even tattooed a Ken doll and named him Brian. She mailed him to me as a fun extension of the ongoing joke about him. Seriously, who would ever think to do something like that.
She is one of the kindest people I know online. She is supportive, always has a helping word to share and is so positive about everything. I am having a hard time with this bridesmaid dress thing. The dress from hell I am dubbing it. I *heart* the colour and that is about all. She has made me feel so much better about it. I posted at Scraptivity that it was in and I had to go try it on sometime. I am so anxious about this entire process and the wedding though due to the one simple fact - the dress is sleeveless. I am hyperventrilicating (copyright Goonies) every time I think of this stinking dress!!! She came back with the most wonderful post! Here it is, straight from the S! message board::
Mel, first off let me tell you that I can totally relate to your issue. I would rather gouge my eyes out with my paper piercer than wear a sleveless anything. Having said that however, remember a couple of things (and I mean this)... We fixate on stuff that other people don't notice. You will look stunning in your dress, sleeves or no sleeves. You'll have hottie girl hair and make-up, a rocking burnt orange dress--you will look great. I had this exact scenario at my sister's wedding (except it was the early 90s, and I had to wear a PEACH dress. I was the MOH, so I had these long gloves, which helped alleviate my fears. Then I noticed everyone was watching my sister, and no seemed to notice my chubbidie arms. No one notices during dinner, and then the lights are off, and then everyone is half drunk. Don't get me wrong, I understand your fears. But remember that you will look good and get through this. Stand tall and be proud of who you are.
This post literally brought tears to my eyes the day I read it. Heck, it still did today when I copied and pasted it! I just have to keep in mind that I am doing this for my friend Cand. Everyone will be fixed on her (even though the day is all about me since she is gtd to go home with someone that night), then after that at the reception I can put on my sweater and enjoy the evening. Who knows, after a few drinks I might even have the liquid courage and be able to walk around without the sweater - but don't hold your breath!
She makes a good point that I have to try to remember in my everyday life (not just with the dress situation)......STAND TALL AND BE PROUD OF WHO YOU ARE!
Thank you Patti for all of your insite! I cant wait to meet you in person!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well I just have to love this entry. Sniff Sniff, Snivle, Snivle.
Very good advice!!
Post a Comment