Sunday, July 17, 2005

Monkey

I have been wondering where nicknames come from? Why do we get them? Why do they stick?

This all stems from a recent visit from my parents last week. We were sitting in the livingroom and my dad walked in and said "How's it going Monkey?" I looked up at the man I have known for 30 years, and wondered where that came from I haven't been called that for a few years now. That was his name for me when I was younger. It brought back so many good memories of childhood. Thanks dad for the smiles, the memories and everything! I dont know where :"Monkey" came from at all. I will have to make a note to ask him one day!

Back in highschool, I was sitting with my friends during a spare. We were all chatting and stuff. My friend Ale was calling me "G" since my last name starts with that letter. It kinda stuck for a few weeks, but my friend Cand coined the nickname that has stuck for the past 13 years! She started calling me "Guh" kinda like "G" but the soft version. Well, this is the name that everyone calls me. It is great to go back to Swift Current to mom and dad's, walk down the street and still be called that by friends. Note that it is only friends that get the honour of calling me this. It is kinda like shortening my name to "Mel" - that is only for friends (but don't worry, I will correct you if you shouldnt be calling me that! LOL). My friends Cand and Vicki still calls me Guh the most. It is great to get a message, phone call or email that starts out "GUH!" I know EXACTLY who it is from. Always brings a smile to my face.

So what is your nickname? How did you come by it? What are the memories behind it? What a great scrapbook page this would be! Hmmmm BOM, I feel a page coming on!

3 comments:

[ .: Hols :. ] said...

Sounds like that would be a really interesting page!

I have so many nicknames, most of them from high school, but my name that my parents call me is "Buddy". When they brought me home from the hospital, I still didn't have a name, so they just called me Buddy for a while. It was a little funny when they called me Holly... therefore, Buddy Holly.

Anonymous said...

I get "G" a lot too, last name graham. I had so many though:

ER(air) Bear
EB
GB
Gerber
Hammertoe
Er(air)Head
N.E.R.D. (never ending radical dudette)
I could go on and on. Nicknames are so awesome!

Jenna said...

Honky.
It is so uncool. But so am I.

It comes from my husband who *thinks* I blow my nose too loud (he is way louder). He even wrote it on my mug. I should post a pic of it to show you. It makes me laugh.

Oh and my other (and fav) nickname is actually one you started. Remember when you gave us all ya-ya sisterhood names at Scrapbookers? And you were to embarrassed to give me my real one cause you thought it would hurt my feelings? Well I am proud to call myself "Princess Big Hair"!