I was called to Regina on Friday to be with my Uncle as they moved him to ICU - he stopped breathing on Friday morning and they tubed him. It isnt looking good. We are just waiting now. I got the call on Friday afternoon at 430pm and was on a flight at 730pm. I was in Regina by 1am and spent the night at the hotel. Went to see him on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Just sat by the bed and held his hand. Couldnt do much more than that cuz of his tubes and stuff. He is so medicated with morphine to ease the pain and sedatives to calm him so he doesnt push his tubes out. It was so scary on Saturday when he would get riled up. He wanted to talk and tell us something but he couldnt bc of the tubes.
My mom and aunt had a meeting with the Drs today to get infor and make one of the biggest decisions ever.
He has cancer and the tumor is taking over his throat and pushing against his esophogus (sp?) so he needs help breathing.
It is so so so so very sad to see him this way - this is not my uncle, but I am glad I could fly there Friday night and spend the weekend with him as hard as it was. I got to hold his hand, tell him all about my trip to Cuba, tell him I am still single cuz I havent found anyone near as perfect as him and dad yet (he squeezed my hand at that - I am sure he was laughing inside).
Tony called this afternoon to tell me that they talked to the drs and they are going to take the breathing tube tonight around 9pm SK time. It just isnt fair to keep him in pain and sedated. He would hate that. I keep telling meself that God needs him right now more than we do and that he has bigger and better things planned for him. Easier said than believed. It is so hard to believe that he is going to be gone soon. I know he will be watching but I am so sad that he is going to miss my wedding and the kids that Wendy and Tony are going to have. He was more than our uncle, he was like a grandfather too since mom's dad passed away before we were born. He is such a great person that he is going to be missed so much.
Ok I have to stop. Crying some more.
I have a radio thing to give a trip away tomorrow at 730am tomorrow and then I am driving out to Sask until Wednesday forsure possibly longer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Awww Mel... I am crying now. I am soooo sorry for your loss and your pain, and I want you to know that you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers...
Huge hugs to you! I'm sorry for your loss and pain as well! Will keep your family in our prayers as well! Take care and travel safe!
Post a Comment